- Dated: 1583
- Measurements: overall length 44.9 cm
- Provenance: The armoury of Julius, Duke of Brunswick-WolfenbÜttel (r. 1568-89)
The dagger has a hollow triangular blade, iron hilt formed with a pair of very short slightly arched quillons with spirally fluted tips and a residual outer shell-guard. The compressed pommel is cut with a gadrooned (ornamental notching or carving of a rounded molding) pattern in relief over the top, while the horn grip is carved as a column of off-set triangles studded with nails at the points and with a brass fillet at both ends.
The weapon has a fabric-covered wooden scabbard, with large tubular iron mounts with prominent raised mouldings and each cut with pierced fleur-de-lys almost meeting in the middle of the scabbard. The upper mount has four wood-lined shaped apertures for a triangular blade and three implements. The upper mount has a belt-loop at the rear, while the outer face engraved with a strapwork frame enclosing an heraldic device.
There’s an arm issuant from a cloud extended over a fire and holding a candle, the motto “Aliis in Serviendo Consvmor” and the date 1583 above. The bottom mount is engraved with a chequered panel together with the abbreviated inscription "IHZS", and complete with a byknife inlaid with a latten mark, awl and bodkin each entirely of steel.
- The dagger was included in the “Exhibition of Arms, Armour and Militaria” lent by H.R.H. The Duke of Brunswick at the Tower of London, April 10th - October 31st 1952, No.93.
- The motto “Aliis in Serviendo Consvmor” (“I spend myself in the service of others”) is found on several two-hand processional swords from the distinctive series made for the Brunswick Ducal armoury, one of which was included in the 1952 Tower exhibition as No. 79.
- The abbreviated inscription “IHZS” (“Jesus Hilf zur Seligkeit”) is also found on the pommel of a rapier included in the 1952 exhibition, No.69, on a pistol made for Duke Julius, now in the Royal Armouries, Leeds (No. XII, 1176) and on some of the small gilt-brass hunting horns also from the Ducal armouries.
Source: Copyright © 2014 Hermann Historica